Possibly. If you were unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the calendar year, you may claim Head of Household (HOH) status for the whole year, which generally provides for lower tax rates than for those who file Single or Married Filing Separate. To qualify for HOH status, you must also have paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home that was the main home for more than half of the year for you and other qualifying persons.